Iri·da·ce·ae | \ ˌirəˈdāsēˌē, ˌīr-\
Definition of Iridaceae
: a family of perennial herbs (order Liliales) with usually only basal ensiform leaves and flowers in racemes or panicles that are subtended individually or in clusters by two spathose bracts and have the perianth petaloid and the ovary inferior
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?