Definition of Iran
country in southwestern Asia bordering in the north on the Caspian Sea and in the south on the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman; an Islamic republic since 1979, formerly an empire; capital Tehran area 636,372 square miles (1,648,195 square kilometers), population 83,025,000
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game