Definition of Indian mallow
1 : any of several abutilons especially : a tall annual herb (Abutilon theophrasti) that has velvety cordate leaves and yellow flowers, yields a long strong fiber for which it is sometimes cultivated, and is native to India but widely naturalized as an escape in warm and temperate regions
— called also velvetleaf
2 [Indian entry 2 2] : a tropical American weed (Sida spinosa) with pale yellow or orange flowers that has been introduced into the U.S. and is found especially in the southern U.S.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
- 7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
- Word Well Used: 'Resplendent'
- Machiavellianism and (A Whole Lot) More
Ask the Editors
- That Sounds Right/Write/Wright Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game