Definition of Indian currant
1a : a North American shrub (Symphoricarpos orbiculatus)
b : the red fruit of this shrub resembling a berry
2 : a shrub (Ribes glutinosum) of the Pacific coast of North America with showy racemose red flowers and black fragrant fruit
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game