Definition of Iapetus
: the third largest satellite of Saturn with a diameter of approximately 890 miles (1440 km) Ever since J.D. Cassini discovered the object in 1671, astronomers have puzzled over why Iapetus' leading hemisphere (facing forward along its orbit) is dark and its trailing one bright.— J. Kelly Beatty, Sky & Telescope, November 1983
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game