Definition of I mean
1 —used to emphasize a statement He has to stop drinking. I mean, he's going to kill himself if he keeps it up.He throws, I mean, really hard!
2 —used to correct a previous statement We met in Toronto—I mean Montreal.
3 —used when one is unsure of what to say or how to say it I'm not mad. It's just that, I mean, I think you've been acting a little selfishly.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?