Definition of I mean
1 —used to emphasize a statement He has to stop drinking. I mean, he's going to kill himself if he keeps it up.He throws, I mean, really hard!
2 —used to correct a previous statement We met in Toronto—I mean Montreal.
3 —used when one is unsure of what to say or how to say it I'm not mad. It's just that, I mean, I think you've been acting a little selfishly.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game