Hy·per·i·ca·ce·ae | \ hīˌperəˈkāsēˌē\
Definition of Hypericaceae
in some classifications
: a family of dicotyledonous plants of warm and temperate regions that are distinguished by opposite resinous-dotted leaves, regular flowers with numerous fascicled stamens, and a 3- to 5-loculed ovary and that are often included among the Guttiferae
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game