Hy·drach·nel·lae | \ ˌhīˌdrakˈne(ˌ)lē\
Definition of Hydrachnellae
: a superfamily or higher group of Acarina comprising freshwater and marine mites that are usually rather large and often bright red, that have two pairs of eyes, tarsi usually with two claws and without an empodium, and chelicerae with a sickle-shaped movable digit, and that with few exceptions breathe by means of a well-developed tracheal system — see halacaridae , hydrachnidae
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game