Hyb·o·dus | \ -ədəs\
Definition of Hybodus
: a large genus (the type of the family Hybodontidae) of extinct sharks existing from the Trias to the Lower Cretaceous that are usually included among the Squaloidea but are sometimes placed with related extinct forms in a separate suborder of the order Pleurotremata
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game