variants: or Huaxtec \ ˈwäˌstek \ or less commonly Huasteca \ wäˈstākə , -tekə \ or Huasteco \ -(ˌ)kō \
plural Huastec or Huastecs or Huaxtec or Huaxtecs
Definition of Huastec
1a : an Indian people of the states of San Luis Potosí, Veracruz, and Tamaulipas, Mexico
b : a member of such people
2 : the Mayan language of the Huastec people
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game