Horseshoe Curvegeographical name
Definition of Horseshoe Curve
curve of railroad track just west of Altoona in south central Pennsylvania designed to enable rail cars to cross the Allegheny Mountains at a manageable incline; 2375 feet (724 meters) long with a 220 degree change of direction; completed in 1854
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game