Hop·lo·car·i·da | \ ˌhäplōˈkarədə\
Definition of Hoplocarida
: a division of Malacostraca coextensive with an order Stomatopoda of tropical marine burrowing crustaceans comprising the mantis shrimps and having a reduced capelike carapace, a large powerful abdomen, five pairs of anteriorly directly thoracic maxillipeds of which the second pair form greatly enlarged raptorial arms, and enlarged swimming appendages on the abdomen with large branching gills on the exopodites
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game