\ ˈhōmz- also -ōlmz-\
variants: or Holmes signal
Definition of Holmes light
: a signaling device that consisting of a case containing impure calcium phosphide and a float and that when thrown into water generates hydrogen phosphides that take fire spontaneously
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game