Definition of Hittite hieroglyph
1 Hittite hieroglyphs plural : a system of writing known from inscriptions from Asia Minor and especially northern Syria dating from about 1500 b.c. to about 600 b.c. and composed of pictorial symbols partly ideographic and partly phonetic in which the language Hiėroglyphic Hittite was written
2 : a character in the Hittite hieroglyphs
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game