Hip·po·glos·sus | \ ˌhipəˈgläsəs, -lȯs-\
Definition of Hippoglossus
: a genus of flatfishes containing the typical halibuts and sometimes being made to be the type of a separate family but usually included in the Pleuronectidae
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?