Hind·ley's screw | \ ˈhī|n(d)lēz-, ˈhi|\
Definition of Hindley's screw
: an endless screw or worm shaped like an hourglass to fit a part of the circumference of a worm wheel so as to increase the bearing area and thereby diminish the wear
— called also hourglass screw
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game