Hind·ley's screw | \ ˈhī|n(d)lēz-, ˈhi|\
Definition of Hindley's screw
: an endless screw or worm shaped like an hourglass to fit a part of the circumference of a worm wheel so as to increase the bearing area and thereby diminish the wear
— called also hourglass screw
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game