Definition of Heteromyidae
: a family of New World rodents having fur-lined external cheek pouches, large eyes, well developed ears, elongated hind limbs and tail adapted to leaping and balancing, and the ability to live on dry food and depending on metabolic water to survive under extreme desert conditions — see pocket mouse
Keep scrolling for more
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game