Het·er·og·na·thi | \ ˌhetəˈrägnəˌthī\
Definition of Heterognathi
in some classifications
: an order of teleost fishes that resemble members of the family Cyprinidae but have an adipose fin and teeth in the jaws and that comprise Characidae and related families now usually included in a division of the suborder Cyprinoidea — compare ostariophysi
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game