Definition of Herschelian telescope
: a reflecting telescope in which the need for a secondary mirror is avoided by tilting the primary mirror slightly and thereby throwing the focused image to the side where it can be observed without obstruction to the incoming light rays
— called also off-axis reflector
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?