Definition of Hercules beetle
1 : a very large beetle (Dynastes hercules) native to tropical America of which the male being probably the largest existing insect attains a length of over five inches and bears a long forwardly projecting horn on the thorax and another on the head
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game