Definition of Hebrew alphabet
1 : a Semitic alphabet used since about the 5th century b.c. for writing Hebrew and in medieval and modern times used also for Yiddish and on occasion other languages
— called also Aramaic alphabet— see Alphabet Table
2 : the Semitic alphabet used in writing Hebrew until about the 5th century b.c. and on occasion as late as the 2d century a.d.
— called also ancient Hebrew alphabet, early Hebrew alphabet, old Hebrew alphabet
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Registering the Politics of 'Register'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/11/19
- Minding 'Never mind' and 'Nevermind'
- A Brief on 'Brief' and 'Debrief'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game