Definition of Hebrew alphabet
1 : a Semitic alphabet used since about the 5th century b.c. for writing Hebrew and in medieval and modern times used also for Yiddish and on occasion other languages
— called also Aramaic alphabet— see Alphabet Table
2 : the Semitic alphabet used in writing Hebrew until about the 5th century b.c. and on occasion as late as the 2d century a.d.
— called also ancient Hebrew alphabet, early Hebrew alphabet, old Hebrew alphabet
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game