Definition of Hebrew alphabet
1 : a Semitic alphabet used since about the 5th century b.c. for writing Hebrew and in medieval and modern times used also for Yiddish and on occasion other languages
— called also Aramaic alphabet— see Alphabet Table
2 : the Semitic alphabet used in writing Hebrew until about the 5th century b.c. and on occasion as late as the 2d century a.d.
— called also ancient Hebrew alphabet, early Hebrew alphabet, old Hebrew alphabet
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game