Definition of Hampshire
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : any of a British breed of large hornless black-faced mutton-producing sheep
— called also Hampshire Down
2 : any of an American breed of black white-belted swine
Definition of Hampshire (Entry 2 of 2)
county of southern England on the English Channel; capital Winchester area 1509 square miles (3908 square kilometers), population 1,317,788
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game