Gym·no·sporangium | \ ¦jim(ˌ)nō +\
Definition of Gymnosporangium
: a genus of heteroecious rusts (family Pucciniaceae) that have mostly 2-celled teliospores whose pedicels and walls form a gelatinous mass when wet, that in the telial stage produce galls on cedars and other conifers of the genera Juniperus and Libocedrus, and that in the aecial stage cause rust spots on the leaves and fruit of apples, pears, and other plants of the family Rosaceae — see apple rust
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game