Gru·yère cheese | \ (ˈ)grü¦y|e(ə)r-, (ˈ)grē¦(y)|, |eə-\
variants: or less commonly Gruyère
Definition of Gruyère cheese
1 : a pressed whole-milk cheese of a pale yellow color and nutty flavor and usually with small holes
2 : a process cheese made in small forms and wrapped in foil
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game