Definition of Gruiformes
: a nearly cosmopolitan order of birds that are typically marsh-dwelling and wading birds with long legs, neck, and bill and rather heavy flight and that include the cranes, rails and coots, bustards, and a number of related tropical birds — see cariama
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game