Definition of Great Antiphon
: one of the seven anthems beginning with an invocation (as O Adonai) that are sung at vespers one each day from December 17 to Christmas
— called also O Antiphon—usually used in plural
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game