Gor·to·ni·an | \ gȯ(r)ˈtōnēən\
Definition of Gortonian
: one of a short-lived sect composed of followers of Samuel Gorton originally of Massachusetts and later of Rhode Island who rejected all outward forms and clergy and held that Christ was both human and divine and that heaven and hell exist only in the mind
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game