Gom·pho·the·ri·um | \ ˌgäm(p)fōˈthirēəm\
Definition of Gomphotherium
: a large genus (the type of the family Gomphotheriidae) of extinct elephants widely distributed in the Miocene and Pliocene and distinguished by a greatly elongated lower jaw bearing broad flat terminal tusks shaped like shovels
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game