Go·mon·tia | \ gōˈmänch(ē)ə\
Definition of Gomontia
: a genus of branching green algae (family Trentepohliaceae) including an alga (G. polyrhiza) that bores into marine mussel shells or dead algae and one (G. lignicola) that penetrates wood
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?