Gloe·o·cap·sa | \ ˌglēōˈkapsə\
Definition of Gloeocapsa
: a genus of unicellular blue-green algae (family Chroococcaceae) inhabiting both fresh and salt water, colonies of some species forming a characteristic dull bluish green film on damp soil (as in tropical greenhouses)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game