Definition of Ghiordes knot
: a knot used in making carpets and rugs in which the two ends of pile yarn appear together at the surface between the two adjacent warp yarns around which they are twisted
— called also Turkish knot— compare sehna knot
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game