Definition of Georgia
1 state of the southeastern U.S. bordering on the Atlantic; capital Atlanta area 58,910 square miles (152,577 square kilometers), population 9,687,653 — see also georgian entry 3
2 or Republic of Georgia independent country of southwestern Asia bordering on the Black Sea and the European part of Russia and including the autonomous republics of Abkhazia and Ajaria and the autonomous region of South Ossetia; an ancient and medieval kingdom, later (1936–91) a constituent republic of the U.S.S.R.; capital Tbilisi area 26,911 square miles (69,700 square kilometers), population 4,926,000 — see also georgian entry 1
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game