Definition of Georgia
1 state of the southeastern U.S. bordering on the Atlantic; capital Atlanta area 58,910 square miles (152,577 square kilometers), population 9,687,653 — see also georgian entry 3
2 or Republic of Georgia independent country of southwestern Asia bordering on the Black Sea and the European part of Russia and including the autonomous republics of Abkhazia and Ajaria and the autonomous region of South Ossetia; an ancient and medieval kingdom, later (1936–91) a constituent republic of the U.S.S.R.; capital Tbilisi area 26,911 square miles (69,700 square kilometers), population 4,926,000 — see also georgian entry 1
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?