Gas·ter·o·ste·idae | \ ˌgastərōˈstēəˌdē \
Definition of Gasterosteidae
: a family of small spiny-finned freshwater or salt-water fishes that consists of the sticklebacks and constitutes with related forms a suborder of Scleroparei or is placed with the cornetfishes and pipefishes in the order Solenichthyes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game