Gas·ter·o·phil·i·dae | \ ˌgastə(ˌ)rōˈfiləˌdē \
Definition of Gasterophilidae
: a family of two-winged flies comprising the horse botflies, resembling honeybees in size and proportions, and having the adult mouthparts vestigial and the antennae sunken in facial grooves
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game