Definition of Ganges
river 1550 miles (2494 kilometers) long in northern India flowing from the Himalayas southeast and east to unite with the Brahmaputra River and empty into the Bay of Bengal through the vast Ganges Delta in Bangladesh and India — see hugli
Note: The Ganges is the sacred river of Hinduism.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game