Galton's law of inheritance
variants: or Galton's theory of inheritance
Definition of Galton's law of inheritance
: a theory in genetics: the parents of an individual together contribute on an average 50 percent of the total inherited characters, the 4 grandparents together 25 percent, the 3d generation of ancestors together 12.5 percent, etc. — compare mendel's law
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game