Definition of Galliformes
: an order of birds of largely terrestrial habits that are mostly rather large and heavy-bodied with short wings, legs adapted for running and scratching the ground where most of their food (as seeds or worms) is found, a large crop, and a muscular gizzard, that nest usually on the ground, that produce numerous eggs and young which are precocial, and that include the pheasants, turkeys, grouse, partridges, quails, and related birds (as the common domestic fowl, the megapodes and curassows, and the hoatzins) — see galli , opisthocomi
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game