variants: or less commonly Frankenstein's monster
Definition of Frankenstein monster
: frankenstein a Frankenstein monster that would stand before a typecase and pluck out letters and click them into a composing stick— T. W. Duncan bureaucracy … become a Frankenstein monster, a law unto itself, interested largely in its own perpetuation and expansion— E. S. Griffith French fears that a rearmed Germany might prove to be a Frankenstein's monster which would turn on its creators— O. N. Bradley
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game