Definition of Frankenstein
1a : the title character in Mary W. Shelley's novel Frankenstein who creates a monster that ruins his life
b : a monster in the shape of a man especially in popularized versions of the Frankenstein story
2 : a monstrous creation especially : a work or agency that ruins its originator
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?