Fra·gar·ia | \ frəˈga(a)rēə\
Definition of Fragaria
: a small genus of low perennial herbs (family Rosaceae) that comprise the strawberries, have trifoliate leaves, cymose white flowers, and long slender runners, and are represented in cultivation mainly by horticultural forms derived from several wild species (as F. vesca, F. virginiana, F. chiloensis, F. moschata) and including many hybrids of these — see chilean strawberry , strawberry, wood strawberry
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?