Four Noble Truthsplural noun
Definition of Four Noble Truths
: the basic doctrines of Buddhism specifying that all life is subject to suffering, that the desire to live is the cause of repeated existences, that only the annihilation of desire can give release, and that the way of escape is the elimination of selfishness by means of the Eightfold Path
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game