Forbidden Citygeographical name
Definition of Forbidden City
walled enclosure in Beijing, China, dating from the 13th century and containing the Imperial Palace with its pleasure grounds, reception halls, pavilions, and offices of state
Note: Now a major tourist attraction, the Forbidden City is so named because it was formerly closed to the public.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game