Fertile Crescentgeographical name
Definition of Fertile Crescent
semicircle of fertile land stretching from the southeastern coast of the Mediterranean (in Israel and Lebanon) around the Syrian Desert north of Arabia (in Syria and Iraq) to the Persian Gulf (in Iraq and Iran)
Note: Some people consider the Nile valley in Egypt to be part of the Fertile Crescent.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game