variants: or less commonly Fermi statistics
Definition of Fermi-Dirac statistics
: quantum-mechanical statistics according to which subatomic particles of a given class (as electrons, protons, and neutrons) have a quantum-mechanical symmetry that makes it impossible for more than one particle to occupy any particular quantum-mechanical state — compare bose-einstein statistics
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game