Definition of Fermi surface
: a theoretical geometric surface that consists of points representing the wavelength and direction of propagation of electrons with energies at the Fermi level in an atom of a solid material, that reflects the material's electronic structure, and that is used to characterize or predict the material's physical properties
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?