Definition of Fermi surface
: a theoretical geometric surface that consists of points representing the wavelength and direction of propagation of electrons with energies at the Fermi level in an atom of a solid material, that reflects the material's electronic structure, and that is used to characterize or predict the material's physical properties
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game