Definition of Fenian
1 : a member of a legendary band of warriors defending Ireland in the second and third centuries a.d.
2 : a member of a secret 19th century Irish and Irish-American organization dedicated to the overthrow of British rule in Ireland
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game