Fa·na·ga·lo | \ ˌfänəgəˈlō\
variants: or Fanakalo \ -nəkə- \
Definition of Fanagalo
: a pidgin language based on Xhosa, Zulu, English, and Afrikaans and spoken in the mines in South Africa
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game