Falkland Islandsgeographical name
Definition of Falkland Islands
islands of the southwestern Atlantic east of the southern end of Argentina; a British crown colony whose capital is Stanley, but also claimed by Argentina area 4700 square miles (12,173 square kilometers), population 2700
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game