Definition of Essex
(Entry 1 of 2)
Definition of Essex (Entry 2 of 2)
county of southeastern England bordering on the North Sea and the northern shore of the Thames River; was one of the kingdoms in the Anglo-Saxon heptarchy; capital Chelmsford area 1470 square miles (3807 square kilometers), population 1,393,587
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game