Eph·e·mer·i·dae | \ -əˌdē \
Definition of Ephemeridae
: a family of large mayflies that include forms having shining transparent wings as adults and as nymphs very large mandibles curved out at the tips, feathered gills extending over the body, and enlarged front legs adapted for digging in stream and lake bottoms
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game